Sunday, December 08, 2013

Blog again?

I might start up the blog again, since it seems to get a steady stream of traffic of people checking back. If I do, it will mainly be a discussion of what's happening on the Hill. I have a spring deadline for my book on Harper's information control, which will be published by HarperCollins as Kill the Messengers. There should be an Amazon page on it soon. 
Here's the Quill and Quire piece on the book deal. And here's the Hill Times story, which is behind a paywall. The newspaper has a rather generous trial offer, so if you don't want to subscribe, you can still read the piece.
This is my first modern political book. In some ways, I had to be talked into doing it, since modern politics is an ugly, dirty business. At the same time, the idea of taking propaganda and censorship concepts and seeing how they are used in modern Ottawa was intriguing, and I think the book has a fair chance of being a commercial success.
So, if people are interested, I'll blog on the topics of politics and political books. I have a stack of new ones by other authors that I'm digging through.The new crop, by authors including Joe Clark (How We Lead: Canada in a Century of Change), Susan Delacourt (Shopping for Votes: How Politicians Choose Us and We Choose Them), Paul Wells (The Longer I’m Prime Minister), Brad Lavigne (Building the Orange Wave), and Chris Turner (Harper's War on Science), are quite good. Don Lenihan's provocative 2012 book Rescuing Public Policy: The Case for Open Engagement, is pretty much out of print but you can download it here for free. We're seeing a trend here toward books that take the juvenalia out of politics and return it to the realm of grown-ups.  

1 comment: